Sunrise

His hand touched my arm, and I startled.

My eyes opened.

I saw his face.

It was our first night in this place, and he had been up well past his bedtime.

I was certain we would all get to sleep a little later this morning.

But I was wrong.

He wove his way, through a dark he didn’t know, to find me.

Like he does nearly every morning.

I reached for him, my hands grabbing the flannel of his pajamas, as I lifted him into the middle of the bed.

He was clutching his lovey in his hands.

I hoped his exhaustion would win out, that this would be one of those rare mornings when he cuddled close, and I slept a little longer.

But it wasn’t.

“Mama,” he whispered, “I’m ready to get up.”

I know, baby.

He’s always ready to get up before I am.

I am just so tired.

So overwhelmingly tired.

Every day.

I had been up with his sister not long ago.

Again.

I couldn’t see the time, but I knew it was early.

The sky outside was black.

I checked the clock on my phone.

6:05 am.

At least it was after six.

Sometimes it’s not.

I found my glasses and pulled myself from the bed.

And reminded the little boy that his sister was asleep, that we had to be as quiet as possible. That we couldn’t wake her.

My boy, his father, and I stumbled toward the stairs and the main living area.

We fumbled for lights, unsure of their position in the unfamiliar rooms.

And then, through the dark, we saw it.

Sunrise.

Linking up with the legendary Mama Kat for something that made me smile this week.

Mama’s Losin’ It

13 Responses to Sunrise
  1. angela
    November 13, 2012 | 9:17 pm

I know this. And that sunrise is a beauty; if you have to be up so early, that’s the way to do it.
    angela recently posted..Always in AweMy Profile

2. JDaniel4's Mom
    November 13, 2012 | 10:13 pm

I think little boys such know when it is six. My guy knows even without the sunrise.
    JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Thanksgiving Kids- Gratitude TurkeyMy Profile

3. Kimberly
    November 14, 2012 | 2:23 pm

My son has an alarm clock set for 5 am…I’d like to miss the sunrise. Really. I need my beauty sleep :)
    Kimberly recently posted..Purpose In ChaosMy Profile

4. Robin | Farewell, Stranger
    November 14, 2012 | 3:48 pm

So glad you at least got to see something beautiful (in addition to your boy, that is).

Why must they get up so early?!
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..The Story of the Baby Who Didn’t SleepMy Profile

5. Alison
    November 15, 2012 | 12:43 am

That is stunning.
    I hope that since he’s seen in once, he’ll at least get up when it’s already light. :)
    Alison recently posted..Sons And DaughtersMy Profile

6. Ginny Marie
    November 15, 2012 | 8:19 am

What a beautiful place, and a beautiful sunrise!
    Ginny Marie recently posted..There, There {A Post on Comfort}My Profile

7. Kimberly
    November 15, 2012 | 8:23 am

Gorgeous capturing of what could just be an ordinary moment, but in your words is a treasure :)
    Kimberly recently posted..Blessing in DisguiseMy Profile

8. Sue
    November 15, 2012 | 9:12 am

Lovely. My three are all sleeper-inners now, and I love it. But this almost made me miss those early rising days.

Almost.
    Sue recently posted..The Case of the Missing InnardsMy Profile

9. Kate @ Mommy Monologues
    November 15, 2012 | 10:00 am

What a positive spin on getting up early! I’m going to keep this in mind tomorrow, we when we’re up at 6:05 in the morning!

Great pictures!
    Kate @ Mommy Monologues recently posted..5 Things that Bring Me ComfortMy Profile

10. emily
    November 15, 2012 | 10:14 am

This morning we were all up by 5:45. Fortunately, we are all slow to move in the morning, and the boy waits at least an hour before being too wild.
    emily recently posted..Writer’s Workshop: SmileMy Profile

11. Runnermom-jen
    November 15, 2012 | 12:14 pm

Holy Beautiful, Natalie!! Words and the photos. Breathtaking.
    xo
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..Comfort…My Profile

12. Tammy
    November 15, 2012 | 7:08 pm

How many times does it take a child to show us where the beauty is? Lovely piece.

13. Shell
    November 16, 2012 | 4:04 pm

And what a beautiful sunrise to get to see!