All By Myself

It is the mantra of the two and half year old.

“All by myselfs.”

Everything.

“All by myselfs.”

Pour his milk.

Put the lid on his cup.

Fix his food.

Start the laundry.

Carry his school bag.

Put his shoes on.

Bring in the packages.

All of it.

Every task, every chore, every challenge.

Every bit of life.

“All by myselfs.”

It is a wonderful trait, this desire to be self-sufficient.

This determination to be autonomous.

It will serve him well one day.

At least that’s what I tell myself while we wait, tension rising, as he struggles to snap the top on his sippy cup.

As I mop up milk from the floor. Again.

As he refuses to allow me to open his pudding cup.

Apparently no pudding is better than pudding opened by Mama.

This is hard for both of us.

Hard for me because it takes longer to do everything than it should. Because it’s messier and more stressful than it needs to be. Because I hate to see him unhappy.

Because every parent struggles when confronted with the Grand Dramatic Flop, that moment when her child throws himself on the floor in frustration.

Hard for him because he’s facing a world that isn’t built for someone his size. Because he’s driven by the unquenchable need to master that world.

And because he doesn’t understand that, one day, he’ll be able to do anything he wants.

He really doesn’t know.

One day, he will do it all “himselfs.”

He won’t remember this time.

And I’ll look back on it and laugh.

And maybe even miss this stage a little.

17 Responses to All By Myself
  1. HogsAteMySister
    February 19, 2012 | 10:45 pm

Alert: This trend continues when they are 23. And have just flow the coop. Sigh.
    HogsAteMySister recently posted..You Know You’re from Norman, Oklahoma if…My Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:12 pm

This is not encouraging.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    February 19, 2012 | 11:33 pm

Second post in a row where I read about a 2 1/2 year old wanting to do everything himself! I have a few more months before this happens. Help. :)
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..11 Questions and AnswersMy Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:14 pm

It’s tough. It really is.

3. Jess
    February 20, 2012 | 1:56 am

Yep. I know all about this stage. I’m in it right now.
    Jess recently posted..Why YouTube is AwesomeMy Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:14 pm

WHEN WILL IT END??????

4. JDaniel4's Mom
    February 20, 2012 | 7:10 am

This stage drove me crazy at times. I took forever to get out the door.
    JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Muffin Tin Monday- Mardi Gras LunchMy Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:15 pm

Isn’t that the truth? Seriously, he’d rather not eat pudding than let me open it. It’s insane.

5. Kimberly
    February 20, 2012 | 8:00 am

I just write about this…saying yes and allowing your children to do things rather than saying no. Sure it takes so much more time but you’re fostering their growth. That’s a beautiful thing.
    Kimberly recently posted..Shhhh Kid. I’m Busy Blogging.My Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:17 pm

Yep. It’s so important. But, man, does it make things take longer!

6. Greta
    February 20, 2012 | 5:43 pm

Yep, I’m there too! So frustrating and adorable at the same time (more the former than the latter, unfortunately).

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:25 pm

I know. It’s adorable. And really time consuming!

7. Elaine
    February 20, 2012 | 5:52 pm

K’s term was “ME DO IT!!!” still is sometimes. They want to do it all on their own… cute but also frustrating at times. For all involved. ;)
    Elaine recently posted..Date Night & Miss Elaine-ous MondayMy Profile

8. Carol Webb
    February 20, 2012 | 9:41 pm

Ahhh…how cute. As frustrating as it is you will miss those days. It is tough not to jump right in and save the day by doing it myself but remembering those days brings a tear to my eye. Enjoy them no matter how challenging they get.
    Carol Webb recently posted..Fisher Price Rain Forest Bouncer ReviewMy Profile

• MamaTrack
      February 21, 2012 | 10:26 pm

Thank you. It is cute. And I know I’ll miss it.

9. Kir
    February 22, 2012 | 7:45 am

Again my friend..I’m knee deep in this and because they are now 4 and “even more capable” LOL

My patience is thin, my voice is raised, my heart hurts with each “no, I’ll do it”…and in some ways I feel like this phase more than the others is a true passage of motherhood…to hold on loosely but don’t let go (38 Special comes through again!!)

I just want you to know you’re not alone in this…and while it doesn’t get easier or better , it does help to know that we’re all waiting on the other side of it for you.
    Kir recently posted..What Do You Do When Your Crush Comes A’Callin?My Profile

10. Robin | Farewell, Stranger
    February 28, 2012 | 9:14 pm

It will end. It will. :)
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..Blissdom Travel in PicturesMy Profile