Preschool Orientation

I went to orientation at the toddler’s preschool tonight.

He’s going to school in the fall.

Two days a week, two and a half hours each day.

It’s only 5 hours a week.

But still.

He’s my baby.

It’s school.

We talked about health forms and discipline policies.

Sick days.

Arrival and dismissal procedures.

Cubbies and treasure bags for artwork.

Snacks and dress codes and handwashing procedures.

Fire drills.

The school calendar.

Medical emergencies.

Code Blue and Code Red.

Shelter in place.

Teachers and painting and outdoor play.

How is my baby going to be ready for this?

How am I?

I know it has to happen.

I can’t keep him home forever.

And I believe it will be good for both of us.

This school seems like a wonderful place.

It will help him learn to be his own person. Foster his independence.

But still.

He’s my baby.

My job is to help him grow.

But my heart wants to just hold tight.

To gather him close and freeze time.

Instead, time seems to be speeding faster with every day.

He’s my baby.

And he’s going to go to school.

18 Responses to Preschool Orientation
  1. Alison Lee
    May 24, 2011 | 10:03 pm

Oh, oh, oh. School already? They grow up so quickly. You’ll be alright. He’ll definitely be alright. *hugs*

2. Jessica
    May 25, 2011 | 3:21 am

A big moment for both of you. I have been thinking about this lately for my little one and it’s difficult. With my oldest it wasn’t hard because I was working and she had to be in daycare/preschool. But with my youngest, she has never been away from me during the day. Hard times up ahead but we will both get through it and it will be okay.

3. RoryBore
    May 25, 2011 | 7:48 am

it’s hard to believe at this point – I can clearly remember the first time my son got on the bus, he seemed so small, so innocent…
    ….3 1/2 years later…..well, it’s definitely a lot easier putting him on the bus in the morning! LOL

4. Amy
    May 25, 2011 | 8:21 am

My youngest is going to preschool in the fall and I feel the same way. It’s hard. It will be worth it to see his face when you go pick him up.

5. Kristin_OPC
    May 25, 2011 | 9:16 am

I remember that feeling. Kind of a spilt between pride and sadness. My baby will be starting 6th grade in the fall… They grow so fast.

6. Heather
    May 25, 2011 | 11:01 am

He will have so much fun!!
    And so you will…watching him grow is what the wonder is all about.
    Enjoy your “time”.

7. Diana @ A Little Bit of Life
    May 25, 2011 | 11:45 am

My baby is only turning 5 months old and I already feel like its going too quickly. I completely understand how you feel!

8. Andrea
    May 25, 2011 | 11:54 am

I know how you feel. I’mm getting ready to send my five yr old to KInder and my twins to preschool this Fall. I may collapse from withdrawl. At least I’ll have the new born to keep me “busy” ;)

9. Kir
    May 25, 2011 | 12:04 pm

it comes so fast doesn’t it. I almost didn’t notice since they have been at daycase since they were 4 months old, but now as they get ready to move to the preschool room, I am so verklempt. I know that it’s all part of them growing and developing but I still wish they would stay my “babies’ for a little while longer.

HUGS to you, you’re doing GREAT MAMA!!!! :)

10. Shell
    May 25, 2011 | 12:45 pm

Oh, this is such a big milestone! But he will be fine- and so will you.
    And it’s okay to cry about it- you won’t be the only mama with tears those first few days!

11. Kimberly
    May 25, 2011 | 12:59 pm

Ugh that has to be so tough. I still have one more year. Sniff

12. MamaRobinJ
    May 25, 2011 | 2:55 pm

Sniff! When we did preschool registration I was excited. I think he’ll be ready for it and I think it will be good for him. If it goes well, it will be good for all of us. But when the time comes I know I’m going to find it harder than I think.

13. Adrienne
    May 25, 2011 | 8:33 pm

Such an emotional time. I know it’s tough! All of the information would be overload for me. I bet when he gets there, though, he’s going tohave a great time! Try to focus on all the positives. Making friends,activities, the fun stuff. That orientaion would have scared me too! I would have heard all of the dangers too. LOL

14. strugglingforeverafter
    May 25, 2011 | 8:39 pm

Yeah… I was there last year so I feel for you. It goes so fast!

15. Sorta Southern Single Mom
    May 26, 2011 | 6:04 am

Such a big step… and a bittersweet milestone!

16. Jessica
    May 26, 2011 | 7:02 am

I’m sending two of mine to school in the fall too, just reading this makes my heart ache. How did they get big so fast? Maybe we should form a support group for the fall!

17. jdaniel4smom
    August 22, 2011 | 2:53 pm

I feel just this way! I want JDaniel to go, but boy am I going to miss him.

Thank you so much for linking up to the Back to School Traditions link up!

18. Alison
    August 22, 2011 | 3:36 pm

I feel the same way! My oldest is starting preschool 2 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week next month and I want to cry. Not to mention that my baby is turning 1 in less than a month and he’s not a baby anymore. I’m happy they’re learning and growing, but I wish they would all be my babies for a while longer!